gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

gfx gfx
gfx
1065 Posts in 217 Topics by 93 Members - Latest Member: Rejad Urruz March 28, 2024, 07:11:19 AM
gfx* Home | Forum | Help | Search | Calendar | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Fett1138.net Forums  |  Forum  |  General  |  Gaming Discussion  |  Project SWG
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Project SWG  (Read 8894 times)

CONELRAD

• Mandalore
  • Al'Ori'Ramikade
  • Alor'ad
  • A.K.A. Fett 1138
    • View Profile
    • Old Time Blues
Project SWG
« on: September 15, 2012, 12:55:49 PM »
Alright, let me start by saying that this is effectively unrelated to the FoM, and I don't know if anyone else cares about it, but I feel the need to spread the word.

As I'm sure you all know, LucasArts and SOE shut down Star Wars Galaxies at the end of 2011, most likely to "force" players to migrate to TOR. I won't go into that subject too much because it makes me really angry, so moving on, some of you are probably aware of the Star Wars Galaxies Emulator (SWGEmu), it's been around for years, and seems to be making great progress. What you may or may not know of (I know I didn't) is Project SWG, a post NGE emulator, while SWGEmu is a pre-NGE emulator. Now a lot of people hated the NGE, but I personally (having never played it beforehand) liked it. What Project SWG aims to do is recreate SWG as it was when it was shut down, and then continue further development from there. They seem to be making progress, too, as they have a private development server up for the developers to, well... develop.

All I want to do is spread the word about it, because I for one would really like to see it come to fruition, and if you played SWG and miss it like I do, you might want to know about it.
Formerly known as Fett 1138...

Fell_Skyhawk

• Follower of Mandalore
  • Alor'uus
    • View Profile
    • The Atalia Galaxy
Re: Project SWG
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 07:31:56 PM »
I knew about the SWGEmu, but not about the Project SWG. All I know is I gotta install my original CDs of SWG to go on SWGEmu, because my downloaded trial version that had upgraded to normal account it doesn't like.

CONELRAD

• Mandalore
  • Al'Ori'Ramikade
  • Alor'ad
  • A.K.A. Fett 1138
    • View Profile
    • Old Time Blues
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 07:56:32 PM »
SWGEmu is wonderful, I'd played it a year or so ago and never got into it, but with SWG closed I've been spending a lot more time on it, it's great to see all those familiar places again. I'm really looking forward to Project SWG, even though I personally like the pre-NGE system better, I like the NGE game better, but as I said before, I never played pre-NGE.

Chekar Nasreyc'aliit

• The Merc
  • Al'Ori'Ramikade
  • Al'verde
  • "Ever seen what a Sonic Det can do to a Bith?"
    • View Profile
    • The Fett Aliit's Website(Note, this is for Fetts in the Veeray'tsad Be'Chaaj'Teh'Vhetin)
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 11:31:19 PM »
I have reservations about this Project SWG thing. SOE flipped their (expletive deleted) and kept trying to run the Emu into the ground, and it wasn't even the same game anymore. I'm fairly certain SOE still has the rights to SWG, and they're probably not too happy about it.

CONELRAD

• Mandalore
  • Al'Ori'Ramikade
  • Alor'ad
  • A.K.A. Fett 1138
    • View Profile
    • Old Time Blues
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 12:09:03 AM »
They did? I wasn't aware of that, but SWGEmu seems to be fairly certain about their legality. And they are still around, I'm sure SOE has a heck of lot more financial and legal power than the SWGEmu developers, but yet they seem to be making it. I don't know about Project SWG, but they've been around for over a year and they're still up and running, so they seem to know what they're doing to some degree.

Either way, I don't worry myself about other peoples legal standing, I just make sure I've got my own butt covered.

Fell_Skyhawk

• Follower of Mandalore
  • Alor'uus
    • View Profile
    • The Atalia Galaxy
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 07:52:50 PM »
Either way, I don't worry myself about other peoples legal standing, I just make sure I've got my own butt covered.

That is a good philosophy.

CONELRAD

• Mandalore
  • Al'Ori'Ramikade
  • Alor'ad
  • A.K.A. Fett 1138
    • View Profile
    • Old Time Blues
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2012, 10:12:52 PM »
That is a good philosophy.

It's gotten me this far.

Chekar Nasreyc'aliit

• The Merc
  • Al'Ori'Ramikade
  • Al'verde
  • "Ever seen what a Sonic Det can do to a Bith?"
    • View Profile
    • The Fett Aliit's Website(Note, this is for Fetts in the Veeray'tsad Be'Chaaj'Teh'Vhetin)
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2012, 07:29:30 PM »
They did? I wasn't aware of that, but SWGEmu seems to be fairly certain about their legality. And they are still around, I'm sure SOE has a heck of lot more financial and legal power than the SWGEmu developers, but yet they seem to be making it. I don't know about Project SWG, but they've been around for over a year and they're still up and running, so they seem to know what they're doing to some degree.

They did indeed have issues. However, after a couple months of straight battling, the Emu finally managed to get a big enough foothold to make SOE stop caring. As for Project SWG... I think that SOE doesn't really seem to care at this point.

CONELRAD

• Mandalore
  • Al'Ori'Ramikade
  • Alor'ad
  • A.K.A. Fett 1138
    • View Profile
    • Old Time Blues
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2012, 11:44:24 AM »
Well, I hadn't heard of that, but I'm not the least bit surprised. But if SWGEmu were actually doing anything illegal, I'm sure that SOE could have shut them down.

Fett1138.net Forums  |  Forum  |  General  |  Gaming Discussion  |  Project SWG

gfxgfx
gfx gfx